Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"My reading habits" - questionnaire


Invited by padma, I have no choice but to disclose a bit of my privacy, which I have been avoiding doing on this blog. Accepting a challenge like this might have positive consequences though: probably for the first time in many years I have stopped to reflect on my reading habits and literary preferences - they play quite an important part in my life after all. Here are ten things that I am revealing about my reading:

1. What time of the day is my favorite time for reading.
No preferences - the only condition is: free time. If I have a day off, I like to spend it reading: wearing pajamas, totally cutting myself off the world (I don't even switch the radio on).

2. Where I read.
My favorite place is the living room sofa: curled up, with a hot drink and a bowl of grapes. However, a lot of my reading takes place in bed, and this fact is totally unrelated to the quality of my sex life;) I don't read on buses or trams because I don't use public transport, and reading in the car, especially when one is driving, is risky. I sometimes try to read when I travel in the passenger seat though, but I do it only when I'm desperate to finish my book.

3. If I read in bed, which position is my favorite (what question is this?).
On my back, half-sitting, resting my head on three pillows.

4. What type of books I like reading best.
Well, fiction, of course. I read poetry only occasionally - when my super-ego tells me to reach for a poet(ess) who has just become very famous or trendy - to know what they talk about on tv and in the papers (as was the case with, for example, Jacek Dehnel). Now, thinking of my preferences, I must admit that I have become quite sexist in my choices as, given an alternative, I will always reach for a woman's book. Because of my professional interest I mostly read Anglo-American books, with the reservation that "Anglo-American" is a blanket term. I also try to catch up with the developments on the Polish literary market, especially whenever Olga Tokarczuk or Jerzy Pilch writes a new book. Somehow Andrzej Stasiuk seems to have dropped out of my "holy trinity" of writers and I can't think of the name that would replace him at the moment.

5. What book I bought recently.
I buy books in bulk, so it's never one title. Plus, I use two sources: Polish bookshops and American internet bookshops.
My most recent purchase in a Polish bookshop: Aminatta Forna: Kamienie Przodków (Ancestor Stones) - I will write about it when I get to read it, Agnieszka Gajewska: Hasło: Feminizm, Jerzy Jarniewicz: Od pieśni do skowytu - sketches on American poets (those two because of my professional interest, they won't appear on my blog).
A selection from my most recent purchase in Amazon.com: Mary Eagleton: Figuring the Woman Author in Contemporary Fiction (professional interest), Edmund White: The Flaneur, Joanna Kavenna: Inglorious (I will write about these two in due time).

6. What I read recently.
Zeruya Shalev: Late Family (I should have written about it last week). Alan Bennett: The Uncommon Reader (courtesy of padma, I won't write about it because she did).

7. What I am reading now.
Edward P. Jones: The Known World (it will eventually appear on my blog) and Dominick LaCapra: History and Reading: Tocqueville, Foucault, French Studies (I won't write about this one, don't worry;)

8. Do I make dog-ears or use bookmarks.
I use bookmarks - I have quite a lot of them scattered all over the place: in all drawers and books that I am reading.

9. What I think about audiobooks.
They can be dangerous when one drives, and I listen to those only when I drive long distances. Once I was driving and listening to Stephen Hawking's A Universe in a Nutshell, which was very involving since I had to really focus to follow the argument. When it came to string theory, I got so absorbed in the explanation that my car somehow veered to the left and it was only after I spotted a huge lorry coming from the opposite direction dangerously close toward me that I realized how I had literally got carried away by the book. Well, it was a close shave; ever since then I have avoided absorbing audiobooks and turned to listening to music in my car instead.
I must admit though that once audiobooks saved me from a very likely depression: I was bedridden recovering after an eye surgery, which made it impossible for me to read or watch anything for a week! Among others it was David Lodge's Therapy (what a title;) on tape that helped me get through that time. I could only say then: thank God for audiobooks.

10. What I think about e-books.
Nothing yet - I try not to read from the computer screen. But who knows - I have a sneaking suspicion verging on conviction that I will sooner or later have to resort to this type of books. For the time being, I am o.k. without them.

P.S. I'd like to invite whoever reads my blog and feels like participating in the game: feel free to join me, fill in the questionnaire in your comments below or leave links to your blogs - a sort of coming out;)

9 comments:

Missing in action said...

1. What time of the day is my favorite time for reading.

Mostly nights, when everyone is asleep and it's quiet. Unless the book is extremely interesting, then even loud noises don't bother me.

2. Where I read.

In my bed. The best place to read :)

3. If I read in bed, which position is my favorite (what question is this?).
Half sitting, with my pillow under my back.

4. What type of books I like reading best.
Mostly fantasy, but not only elves and trolls, but also the crazy stuff Andrzej Pilipuk writes, who is one of the best Polish writers right next to Andrzej Sapkowski.
Also, women's literature, but not the depressing ones about experienced by life women. They just make me angry and bored.
I like comic books too. I know it might sound funny, but most of the comic books are as serious as books, and have lots of genres to choose.

5. What book I bought recently.
Umm... I buy lots of them each month (I spend half of my salary on books) so it's hard to say.

6. What I read recently.
Andrzej Pilipiuk's "Oko Jelenia" series. Interesting book about moving in time. And a good way to learn a bit of Swedish history.

7. What I am reading now.
Trying to choose. I guess I'll start Cornelia's Funke ink trilogy, since the last part, "Ink death", was released.

8. Do I make dog-ears or use bookmarks.
Bookmark. I hate when people make dog-ears. It destroys the book, and book should be used but it doesn't mean that it should look like a trash after a reading.

9. What I think about audiobooks.
Never tried, but I guess I prefer reading, since I can't focus on listening for longer then 10 minutes.

10. What I think about e-books.
Hate it. My eyes hurt and I can't concentrate. And while reading from the screen I can't imagine the world the author invented, so I'm against e-books.
And I really like when the book has a nice cover and all that :)

atram said...

Missing in action, pleased to meet you and thanks for joining me. Intrigued by your recommendation of Pilipiuk, I looked him up on Wikipedia and you know what? - I will definitely read a book or two of his because I see he writes about the region where I come from. Thank you for inspiration.

Missing in action said...

Your welcome. I reccomend you, as I wrote earlier, "Oko Jelenia". Right now there are only three volumes from seven planned, but it's worth waiting. And of course his "Jakub Wędrowycz" stories. If you like this crazy humor, you're gonna love it. :)

P.S. It's me Karmen from KJO ;)

Anonymous said...

1.What time of the day is my favorite time for reading.
Any time is good:) Maybe except for early mornings...
2.Where I read.
Mostly on trams and buses (I usually have plenty of time being stuck in traffic jams). I also like reading in my swivel chair in front of my desk, especially when my bed is occupied:)
3.If I read in bed, which position is my favorite.
Half lying (rather than sitting) although it makes me drowsy:(
4.What type of books I like reading best.
Mostly novels, sometimes short stories or personal accounts (the one I'm going to read soon is "Lost" by Mendelsohn)
5.What book I bought recently.
"Night Train to Lisbon" by Pascal Mercier - not as compelling as I thought...
6.What I read recently.
Mercier, Atwood (thanks to atram!) and the texts for my literature class:)
7.What I am reading now.
I'm having a break now but there is a pile waiting for me to be devoured!
8. Do I make dog-ears or use bookmarks.
I use bookmarks, tickets, receipts or postcards - whatever is at hand. And I do make dog-ears to mark particularly interesting fragments, since I don't have time to read whole books again:( Maybe that's why I don't like borrowing books from other people or from libraries...
9. What I think about audiobooks.
Never tried
10.What I think about e-books.
Too bad for my eyes and my mind because I can't focus at all!

Dear atram!
I picked up the gauntlet...any more challenges?
evans

atram said...

Hi evans;)As for challenges - just you wait, there will be some coming soon, I hope.
Now, since you're not so very enthusiastic about Mercier, maybe I'll sign up for Mendelsohn?

Anonymous said...

Being P.Auster's fan I'm pretty used to books about a quest of identity. "Night Train to Lisbon" is indeed about such a quest but it seems to be missing a great deal of metaphysics. Unconvincing fortuitousness and a constant repetition of certain fragments (as if the author didn't believe that the reader could actually understand the allusions) make the novel poor. I expected much more, especially such enthusiastic reviews.
As regards Mendelsohn...sure I'll lend it to you, let me just read it first:)

Anonymous said...

Hi! I wanna join in the game.

1. + 2. What time of the day is my favorite time for reading & Where I read.One book served with a morning coffee; another taken on a tram ; yet another, electronic one, saved on my portable device; finally, a different one cherished in bed. I read whenever my eyes catch a glimpse of any written text (e.g., while brushing my teeth, I read toothpaste label, or such, to pass the time of brushing quickly-silly, eh?).

3. If I read in bed, which position is my favorite.I position myself in front of a book I'm reading. (-_^)

4. What type of books I like reading best.I like reading everything what is NOT badly written, cheesy, sentimental, and/or for chicks.

5. What book I bought recently.The last one I bought was "Revolutionary Road" by Richard Yates.

6. What I read recently.Flannery O'Connor "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" (I've got to read more O'Connor!)

7. What I am reading now."Revolutionary Road," "The Big Sleep," "The Interview with the Vampire" (I've actually abandoned this one)

8. Do I make dog-ears or use bookmarks.Dog-ears - never! Neither a dog nor a book deserves to be treated like that. As for bookmarks, I print them myself.

9. What I think about audiobooks.I love 'em! It's a great way to listen to different accents, intonations, voices, interpretations.

10. What I think about e-books.I love 'em, as well! I save a lot of dough by the classics in electronic form, instead of buying them.

atram said...

Queen of the Grubs,
You sound like a text-addict;) I heard an anecdote of one Polish writer's habit of reading before sleep: once he stayed in a hotel where there was nothing to read and he had read everything he had on him, so he started reading manuals and labels that he found in the room to put himself to sleep;)
I loved the movie based on "Revolutionary Road";) As for Flannery O'Connor, I read some stories by her ("Wise Blood" and "Good Country People") and loved her wicked sense of humor. Weird and disturbing - I certainly liked them.

Anonymous said...

atram, that's a good anecdote. I understand his sleeplessness. Text, as such, seems to be dangerously addictive. By the way, which writer was that?

As for O'Connor, thanks for mentioning those titles. I'll make sure to read 'em.